Beltane Marigold Custard
- 2 cups milk
- 1 cup un-sprayed marigold petals
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 3 Tbsp. sugar
- 1 to 2-inch piece vanilla bean
- 3 egg yolks, slightly beaten
- 1/8 tsp. allspice
- 1/8 tsp. nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp. rose water
- whipped cream
Using a clean mortar and pestle reserved for cooking purposes, pound marigold petals. Or, crush with a spoon. Mix the salt, sugar and spices together. Scald milk with the marigolds and the vanilla bean. Remove the vanilla bean and add the slightly beaten yolks and dry ingredients. Cook on low heat. When the mixture coats the spoon, add rose water and cool. Top with whipped cream, garnish with fresh marigold petals.
Rose Water for cooking. [Use roses that are insecticide free ]
- Measure 1/4 cup of dried rose petals into your saucepan. …
- Pour 1 1/2 cups water into your saucepan.
- Cover and bring to a boil.
- Reduce temperature to the lowest setting that still allows the water to simmer.
- Simmer until the color of the rose petals has faded. …
- Leave the lid on and cool completely.