Glazed Lemon Bread
1/4 cup butter, softened
3/4 cup white sugar
2 tablespoons grated lemon peel
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt
2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
3/4 cup milk
¼ cup confectioners sugar
¼ cup lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Lightly grease 1 9×5 inch loaf pan.
- In a large bowl, cream together the butter and 3/4 cup sugar until light and fluffy. Stir in the eggs one at a time, beating well with each addition, then stir in the lemon peel. In a separate bowl, sift together the flour, salt and baking powder.
- Blend the flour mixture into the egg mixture, alternately with the milk; stir just to combine.Pour batter into prepared loaf pan.
- Bake in preheated oven for 50 to 55 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into center of loaf comes out clean.
- In a small bowl, dissolve confectioners sugar in the lemon juice. After loaf has cooled for 30 minutes, spoon glaze over loaf.
Serving size: makes one 9×5 inch loaf.