I found this recipe in 2009 when I was searching for something different, I wanted to make a salad that was filling and with a bit of zing too. It has since become my go-to for my Litha/Solstice lunch and for many summer gatherings. [I have taken to making my salmon in the slow cooker which takes about 1 to 1/2 hours cooked on low this allows time to make the rest of my meal while my salmon is cooking. It always comes out perfect every time.]
* 1 recipe Yogurt-Cardamom Dressing, recipe below
* 1/3 cup mint leaves, coarsely chopped
* 1 Tsp. finely shredded lemon peel
* 1/4 tsp. cracked black pepper
* 1/2 a cantaloupe, peeled and cut in thin wedges (about 2 cups)
* 2 cups thinly sliced fennel
* 2 cups blueberries or seedless red grapes
* 8 oz. smoked salmon, skin, and bones removed, coarsely broken
* 1/2 a honeydew melon, cut in cubes and/or balls (about 2 cups)
1. Prepare Yogurt-Cardamom Dressing; set aside.
2. In small bowl combine mint, lemon peel, and pepper; set aside. In a trifle dish or straight-sided glass serving bowl place cantaloupe, fennel, blueberries, salmon, and honeydew. Sprinkle with mint mixture. Serve with Yogurt-Cardamom Dressing. Makes 6 servings.
1 6 ounce carton plain low-fat yogurt
¼ cup olive oil
2 tablespoons lemon juice
1 tablespoon honey
1 clove garlic, minced
½ teaspoon ground cardamom or ground nutmeg
½ teaspoon cracked black pepper
¼ teaspoon salt
Yogurt-Cardamom Dressing: In a small bowl combine one 6-ounce carton plain low-fat yogurt, 1/4 cup olive oil, 2 Tbsp. lemon juice, 1 Tbsp. honey, 1 clove minced garlic, 1/2 tsp. ground cardamom or ground nutmeg, 1/2 tsp. cracked black pepper, and 1/4 tsp. salt.
Source: recipe and picture BHG