A taste of spring for your taste buds. This is a great cake to use for your Ostara/Spring Equinox celebrations. This cake can be made with a whipped cream frosting which is light fluffy and very good. I also make it with a buttercream frosting which became a favorite so I am including both the recipe for the whipped frosting and the buttercream.
Buttery Yellow Citrus Cake
3/4 cup butter
6 egg yolks or 3 whole eggs
2-2/3 cups all-purpose flour
2 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. baking soda
1-2/3 cups sugar
1 cup milk
2 tsp. finely shredded lemon or lime peel
1 tsp. finely shredded orange peel
2 Tbsp. lemon or lime juice
2 Tbsp. orange juice
1. Let butter and eggs stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Grease and lightly flour two 9×2-inch round baking pans; set aside.
2. In a medium bowl combine flour, baking powder, 1/2 tsp. salt, and baking soda; set aside. In large bowl beat butter on medium 30 seconds. Gradually beat in sugar until combined; beat 2 minutes more. Add yolks one at a time, beat well after each addition. Add flour mixture and milk alternately; beat on low after each just until combined. Stir in peels and juices. Spread batter in prepared pans.
3. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until pick inserted near centers comes out clean. Cool in pans on racks 10 minutes. Remove from pans; cool.
4. Prepare Lemony Frosting. Place one layer flat side down on the plate; spread top with frosting. Stack second layer flat side down; spread remaining frosting. Serve immediately or cover and refrigerate. Makes 12 servings.
5. Lemony Whipped Cream Frosting: In a large chilled bowl beat 2 cups whipping cream, 2 Tbps. powdered sugar, and 1 Tbsp. instant vanilla pudding on medium-high until stiff peaks form. Fold in 1 Tbsp. shredded lemon peel. If made ahead, chill 24 hours; stir before spreading. Makes 3-1/2 cups
6.Or Citrus Buttercream Frosting:1 cup butter, softened 3 tablespoons orange zest 1 tablespoon lemon zest 1 (32-oz.) package powdered sugar 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice 5 tablespoons fresh orange juice 1 tablespoon additional fresh orange juice. Beat butter, orange zest, and lemon zest at medium speed with an electric mixer 1 to 2 minutes or until creamy; gradually add powdered sugar alternately with lemon juice and 5 Tbsp. fresh orange juice, beating at low speed until blended after each addition. Add up to 1 Tbsp. additional fresh orange juice, 1 tsp. at a time, until desired consistency is reached.