Easy Children Friendly Summer Recipes
These recipes are easy enough that the young ones in your family can make them with minimum supervision. They are excellent contributions for lunch or a refreshing afternoon snack.
1/4 cup orange juice
1 tablespoon salad oil
2 teaspoons honey mustard or Dijon-style mustard
1 teaspoon sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
4 cups torn lettuce
1-1/2 cups fresh blueberries, raspberries, quartered strawberries, and/or canned mandarin orange sections, drained
2 tablespoons bite-size cheddar fish-shaped or pretzel crackers or 1 tablespoon shelled sunflower seeds
1. For dressing, in a screw-top jar combine orange juice, oil, mustard, sugar, and salt. Cover and shake until combined. Place lettuce in medium bowl. Drizzle with dressing; toss to coat. Divide lettuce among 4 plates.
2. Arrange fruit on lettuce. Sprinkle with crackers. Serve immediately. Makes 4 side-dish servings.
Frozen Strawberry Lemonade
- 2 cups frozen (or fresh) strawberries (about 24 strawberries)
- 1/2 cup crushed ice (or smallest cubes possible)
- 1/2 cup lemon juice (fresh or bottled)
- 2 Tablespoons of sugar (or to taste)
- 3/4 cup water
- 1/4 lemon, sliced, for garnish
- 1 Tablespoon of ginger, fresh or dried (finely chopped)
- A few mint leaves
Recipe from Right@Home makes 2 servings